I haven't had much luck with reverse proxies in the past. I tried using Squid on my own web server some time back, but at that time it wasn't really set up to reverse proxy lots of domains, I think, so I ended up writing my own reverse proxy, that supported SCGI, for my Python stuff. More recently I tried Varnish, but it broke form submission on peopleaggregator.net then tended to hang after a minute or so of traffic.
I haven't heard much about Squid for a while -- lots about Perlbal, Pound, nginx, etc -- but it seems to be working fine for WikiMedia and Flickr too. Today I gave it another go, and this time it seems to be working OK.
These instructions are good - I used the Squid 2.6 setup, running on Debian etch.
A working reverse proxy config, proxying for *.example.com, with public IP address 184.108.40.206, is as trivial as this:
- at the top of squid.conf:
cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 80 0 originserver default
- lower down, replace the 'http_port 80' line with:
http_port 220.127.116.11:80 vhost vport
- just before the deny all acl:
acl valid_dst dstdomain .example.com
http_access allow valid_dst